Avast Antivirus is one of the most popular cybersecurity programs on the market today. It provides a convenient protection from various viruses, hostile software and malware, but sometimes users find it unreasonably overprotective and seek for the ways to turn it off permanently or for some time. The purpose of this article is to give the most relevant information about Avast Antivirus and ways to disable some of its functions.
Why do users disable Avast Antivirus?
Popularity of the Avast Antivirus is difficult to overestimate, especially on Windows operating systems. It has a large share of the cybersecurity applications market and even comes preinstalled on some versions of the mentioned OS. “How to Disable Avast Antivirus in Windows 10” has become a frequent search query and the main reasons for that might be the following:
- According to some investigations, Avast has been selling personal users’ data to third parties, including such huge companies as Google and Microsoft. It is obviously unacceptable for the brand that claims to keep your information safe and secure.
- Overprotective features of the antivirus can get in the way during the installation of the other software. Additional functions can also limit the access to some programs and applications. It can even block some websites without certain explanations.
- Background scanning processes can cause slowdowns of the system and make the performance of the system less smooth. Some functions can demand up to 20% of the CPU of the computer.
- The inability to disable particular surveillance features even temporary may be annoying.
How to Disable Avast Antivirus in Windows 10?
If you are already using Avast Antivirus and want to turn it off, you can either disable and delete it from the computer completely or get rid of some particular functions. Feel free to use the following instructions:
- Click the Avast icon in the Windows taskbar and find the Avast shields control option. You can turn the protection off for 10 minutes, 1 hour or permanently.
- Confirm your actions in the dialog window from Avast that will appear. Check the results in the main window of the application: it should say, “All antivirus shields are off”. You can easily turn them on by clicking the “Resolve” button there.
- To disable particular shields go to the “Protection” page in the program, and find the “Core Shields” option there. You should find all the functions the applications provide and be able to disable the ones you do not need.
At the end of the day, even protection may be bothering if it is too excessive, because it can limit your access to some websites or applications. In addition, it is unacceptable for cybersecurity applications to sell users’ data to other huge companies that can use this information to their advantage. Every user can disable particular functions of Avast Antivirus or remove it completely to try out another application. The choice is up to you.